IRS & Refunds

Do You Qualify for a Tax Extension?

Do You Qualify for an Automatic Extension?

April 11, 2012 : Jenna Bromberg - Past Contributor

We’ve already covered how to file an extension (remember: this must be done by the April 17th tax filing deadline!), but did you know some taxpayers get more time to file without having to request it?

The qualifications, per the IRS:

You may be allowed an automatic 2-month extension of time to file your return and pay any federal income tax that is due. You will be allowed the extension if you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien and on the regular due date of your return:

  • You are living outside of the United States and Puerto Rico and your main place of business or post of duty is outside the United States and Puerto Rico, or
  • You are in military or naval service on duty outside the United States and Puerto Rico

Other IRS deadline exceptions to note:

  • Members of the military and others serving in Iraq, Afghanistan or other combat zone localities can typically wait until at least 180 days after they leave the combat zone to both file returns and pay any taxes due
  • People in parts of Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee and West Virginia, affected by tornadoes, severe storms, floods and other recent natural disasters, have until May 31 to file and pay.

Still have questions or concerns? It’s certainly better to be safe than sorry. Get in touch with us to be sure you qualify for an automatic extension before the regular deadline passes you by.

[Image: photographer padawan *(xava du) via Flickr]

Jenna Bromberg - Past Contributor

Jenna Bromberg - Past Contributor

H&R Block

Jenna helped manage the national social media programs at Houlihan's Restaurants, Inc. and was a copywriter for all three brands in the HRI family before joining H&R Block.

Copyright © 2014-2015 HRB Digital LLC. All Rights Reserved.