As we’ve mentioned, you can (and should) come in to prepare your tax return now so your return can be filed on January 30, when the IRS begins accepting & processing 2012 tax returns.
Need even more incentive to get started? We’re offering free preparation of a federal 1040EZ tax return through February 15th.
Here’s the deal. You can prepare your 1040EZ for free a few different ways:
- At participating H&R Block tax offices and Wal-Mart kiosks
- With H&R Block At Home online and iPad options
- From the comforts of home virtually with a tax professional via video chat through Block Live
- With the 1040EZ app for iPhone and Android smartphones (now available in Spanish!)
Close to 17 million taxpayers will file a 1040EZ this year — and almost 9 out of 10 will receive a refund. By preparing your tax return now, you can have confidence that you’ll get your tax refund as fast as possible.
Still waiting on your W-2 form? Be sure to check to see if your employer is participating in W-2 Early Access. This free, online service securely sends electronic copies of your W-2 directly to your local H&R Block tax office, so you don’t have to waste any time checking the mail every day hoping for the hard copy.
Confused as to whether you’ll be filing a 1040EZ? You might be a 1040EZ filer if you:
- File single or married filing jointly
- Do not pay mortgage interest
- Claim the standard deduction (in other words, you don’t itemize any deductions).
- Earned all of your income from wages, tips, and other allowable sources.
- Have no dependents
- Earned less than $100,000 in taxable income last year.
If this sounds like you, be sure to stop by your local office prior to February 15th. For more info on our Free 1040EZ program, go here.
Type of federal return filed is based on taxpayer’s personal situation and IRS rules/regulations. Form 1040EZ is generally used by single/married taxpayers with taxable income under $100,000, no dependents, no itemized deductions, and certain types of income (including wages, salaries, tips, taxable scholarships or fellowship grants, and unemployment compensation). Additional fees apply with Earned Income Credit and you file any other returns such as city or local income tax returns, or if you select other products and services such as a Refund Anticipation Check. Available at participating U.S. locations. Offer expires February 15, 2013 ©2013 HRB Tax Group, Inc.