How to Choose the Right Tax Professional for You
January 28, 2013 : Jenna Bromberg - Past Contributor
Your taxes are a big deal. You want to put them in the hands of someone you trust, relate to and connect with. We get that.
We have 90,000 tax professionals with more than 10 million hours of training and thousands of years experience between them — so you can be confident that no matter which one of our pros you sit down with, you’re in good hands. But with so many tax professionals to choose from, how can you pick the one that’s perfect for you and your unique tax situation?
Choosing a tax pro at your local H&R Block office
Best for: First-time filers; clients who have never worked with a tax pro; clients with specialized tax situations (e.g. clergy, self-employed, claiming losses from natural disasters, etc.)
By now, you’ve probably decided to make an appointment at the H&R Bock tax office most convenient you. But did you know you can choose the tax pro you want to work with at that office before you’ve even left the house? This is particularly helpful for clients who have a specialized tax situation (do you own a rental home? Receive income from multiple states? File for bankruptcy this year?)
Here’s how you can scope out the pros in your local office:
- Visit our Tax Pro Finder tool, click Search by Location and enter your zip code.
- When your search results appear, choose ‘view all tax pros in this office‘ below the office of your choosing.
- From here, you can browse the profiles of each tax pro; pay close attention to specialized training, areas of expertise and even the personal interests of each pro to find the one who may be the best fit for you professionally and personally. Many of our clients return to the same tax pro year after year — and building that personal relationship with your pro is even easier when you have similar interests!
Choosing a tax pro in your area with a unique specialty
Best for: Clients with a highly specialized tax situation, like small business owners, freelancers, clients who need help with audits, investments/stock options, etc.)
There’s a good chance you live in an area with several H&R Block offices within a few miles. If you’re not quite set on the office you’d like to go to — or you have a specialized tax situation — you can search for pros in your area by areas of expertise. Here’s how:
- Visit the Tax Pro Finder tool
- Click Search by Expertise, enter your zip code and select your desired specialty.
- Browse tax pro profiles and make an appointment with the individual of your choosing.
Forget your tax pro’s name? No problem.
Best for: Returning H&R Block clients looking to track down the tax pro they’ve worked with previously.
We know: it’s been a year, and you’re not very good with names. Our Tax Pro Finder tool also allows you to find the pro you used last year; all you have to do is select ‘Find Your Current Tax Professional,’ then enter your name and the last four digits of your SSN or ITIN.
Need to track down a pro who may have moved?
Best for: Returning H&R Block clients looking for a tax pro they’ve worked with previously.
Did you tax professional switch offices or move elsewhere? You can track him or her down; simply visit the Tax Pro Finder and select Search by Tax Professional’s Name.
Finding a tax pro you trust and can connect with is as important to us as it is to you — so be sure to study up on our pros to find the perfect fit for your situation.