IRS & Refunds


How to Fix an Error on Your Tax Return

April 23, 2014 : Violeta Stauffer-Rodriguez – Past Contributor

Leer en español

Ed note: Were you feeling nervous when you pushed the “submit” button when filing your taxes? Did you realize after the fact that something was wrong on your return? Don’t worry, and follow these tips.

Error-CorrectionFiling your taxes is one of those projects that may feel overwhelming and anxiety provoking, and when you get to the end you have to press that intimidating “file” button! Here is some information to put you at ease. For almost any kind of error, know this: it is fixable. You can file an amended return to correct errors and still go back three years to claim an additional refund if you missed a credit or deduction.

What is an amended tax form?

Most individual tax returns can be amended by mailing in a Form 1040X. This form amends a previously filed Form 1040, Form 1040-A, or 1040-EZ Forms.

What kinds of changes require an amended return?

If there are changes in your filing status, income, credits or deductions then you will want to file an amended return. The IRS does recommend that you wait until you have received your original refund prior to submitting an amendment.

How long do I have to amend?

There are time limitations to amending returns for past year’s returns that have already been filed, generally you have three years.

How do I file the amended return?

You will need to send an amended return by mail. You can access the Form 1040X on the IRS website. Check the Form 1040X Instructions to find your state’s IRS Service Center address. 

When will I hear back after I file an amended return?

You can expect for your amendment to be processed in 8-12 weeks. You can use the IRS website to check in on your return’s status.

Rest assured, if you find an error, you can just fix it.


Copyright © 2014-2015 HRB Digital LLC. All Rights Reserved.