IRS & Refunds

expat and tax pro

Expat: When To File Taxes if You Live Abroad [INFOGRAPHIC]

April 6, 2016 : H&R Block

For those of us living in the U.S. the deadline for filing a tax return is pretty clear. It’s got to be in by April 18 – whether you file the return or file an extension. For U.S. citizens who live or work outside of the country, it can be more complicated.

So we created an easy question-and-answer guide to help determine when you actually need to file that return. The one caveat is that no matter when you file, you must still pay your estimated tax bill on time. If you don’t pay by April 18 you may accrue interest charges, and if you don’t pay by June 15 you could incur a failure-to-pay penalty.

As always, our tax pros at H&R Block’s Expat Tax Services can help you navigate these tricky issues.

Click to view larger image
Deadlines for when U.S. expats need to file a tax return

Like this infographic? Use the code below to embed it on your site:


Copyright © 2014-2015 HRB Digital LLC. All Rights Reserved.