File Free 1040EZ With “Free EZ” | H&R Block
January 3, 2017 : Allie Freeland – Contributing Editor
For a limited time, qualifying 1040EZ filers can pay nothing to file your federal return with a tax professional at H&R Block. Make no mistake of it: you could pay zero starting January 3.
Who Can File a 1040EZ?
Your eligibility to file a Form 1040EZ depends upon your individual tax situation. You must meet the following conditions:
- You are filing as single or married filing jointly.
- You claim no dependents.
- You don’t claim any income adjustments.
- You don’t claim any credits other than the Earned Income Credit.
- You, and your spouse if filing a joint return, were under age 65 on January 1, 2016, and not blind at the end of 2015.
- Your taxable income is less than $100,000.
- You had only wages, salaries, tips, taxable scholarship and fellowship grants, unemployment compensation, or Alaska Permanent Fund dividends, and your taxable interest was not over $1,500.
- Your earned tips, if any, are included in boxes 5 and 7 of your Form W-2.
- You don’t owe any household employment taxes on wages you paid to a household employee.
- You are not a debtor in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy case filed after October 16, 2005.
- Advance payments of the Premium Tax Credit were not made for you, your spouse, or any individual you enrolled in coverage for whom no one else is claiming the personal exemption.
- If you file Form 1040EZ, you can’t itemize deductions or claim any adjustments to income or tax credits (other than the Earned Income Credit).
So, if you qualify to file a Form 1040EZ, you may be eligible to file for Free at H&R Block with Free EZ. A win-win, right? You can leverage the experience of our tax professionals at no cost to you.
When is it Available?
Hurry up and head to a participating office! The offer begins January 3 and runs through February 28.
Is the Offer Limited to Particular Tax Filers?
Free EZ is limited to the federal Form 1040EZ only. If you file more than that, you could be subject to additional fees. This includes:
- Earned Income Credit
- State & local tax forms
- Affordable Care Act forms
If you use other products or services offered through H&R Block, you may be subject to additional fees.
Additionally, you can’t combine this offer with others at H&R Block. But, you’d probably already guess this because it’s free.
Take Action! Book an Appointment
Remember, H&R Block will only offer Free EZ for a limited time, so act fast. To find a participating office and schedule an appointment, visit www.hrblock.com/ez.
Valid for 2016 personal income tax return only. Return must be filed January 3 – February 28, 2017 at participating offices to qualify. Type of federal return filed is based on your personal tax situation and IRS rules. Form 1040EZ is generally used by single/married taxpayers with taxable income under $100,000, no dependents, no itemized deductions, and certain types of income (including wages, salaries, tips, some scholarships/grants, and unemployment compensation). Additional fees apply for Earned Income Credit and certain other additional forms, for state and local returns, and if you select other products and services. Visit hrblock.com/ez to find the nearest participating office or to make an appointment. OBTP# B13696 ©2017 HRB Tax Group, Inc.