Tax Basics

taxes 101

The Ultimate List of Tax Forms for Individual Taxpayers

March 22, 2017 : Allie Freeland – Contributing Editor

The U.S. tax code is complicated, and is filled with forms you need to complete. To better understand the forms you may be working with this year, here is a complete list of tax forms for individual taxpayers — and what each of them mean.

For Filing:

Form 1040 (US Individual Income Tax Return): Annual income tax return.

Form 1040A (US Individual income Tax Return): You can file this form if you have varied incomes and would like to take various deductions.

Form 1040-EZ (Income Tax Return for Single and Joint Filers With No Dependents): Got no dependents and a straightforward return? Use Form 1040-EZ to file your tax returns. Remember, only certain citizens or residents of the United States can qualify to use this form.

[Bonus: File for free with H&R Block online with a Form 1040, 1040-EZ, or 1040-A.]

Form 1040-ES (Estimated Tax for Individuals): Determine the amount you owe in estimated tax with this tax form.

For Identification:

Form W-9 (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification for non-employee compensation): Used to request your TIN, for reporting on an information return the amount paid as a contracted employee.

Form W-4 (An Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate): This form proves your employer can withhold the correct federal income tax from your pay to the IRS.

[Bonus: Use our W-4 calculator to estimate your refund or tax due based on your current W-4 form! This way, you can truly plan for tax time and adjust withholding allowances as needed.]

Form W-7 (Application for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, or ITIN): Get or renew a ITIN for federal tax purposes if you are not able to obtain a Social Security number.

For Notifications/ Post-Filing:

Form 8822 (Change of Address): Moved this year? Tell the IRS with this form. It works for individual, gift, estate, or transfer tax returns.

Form 9465 (Installment Agreement Request): Can’t pay the taxes owed right away? Use this IRS form to request a monthly installment plan.

Form 4506-T (Tax Return Transcript Request): Need to get a tax transcript or other return information? You can even have a third party receive the information!)

For Additional Information:

Publication 17 (Your Federal Income Tax): This form Explains the general rules for filing a federal income tax return.

(Source: Tax Forms via

Allie Freeland – Contributing Editor

Allie Freeland – Contributing Editor

H&R Block

Allie is the Contributing Editor of the H&R Block blog, Block Talk. She has been a practicing grammar geek since 2007.

Copyright © 2014-2015 HRB Digital LLC. All Rights Reserved.