[Review] Filing My Taxes with H&R Block Premium & Business Software
March 27, 2017 : Kathy Cano-Murillo
I did it! I filed my state and federal taxes using H&R Block Tax Software. Up until a couple years ago, I put myself through the headache of doing my own taxes without any software. The process took many days and brought on so much stress.
In 2016, I changed my perspective on all money matters. I blocked the fear and embraced the many resources available. As a small business owner, taxes are a big part of that. I need to watch every penny and make the most of my waking hours as I juggle multiple roles within my business. I don’t have time or energy for mistakes, guessing, or being unsure. Rather than braving all of this on my own, I used to visit my local H&R Block tax office to guide me. I sat next to the tax professional and watched her complete every step of my federal and state taxes. Sure, this experience definitely made life so much easier!
This year however, I upped my game even more. H&R Block asked me to try the tax software and write about my experience. So, I empowered myself and used the H&R Block Premium & Business Software, a program for small business owners. Best move ever! It saved time and money, and also taught me the ins and out of various tax forms.
Here are the tax software features I loved the most. (I want to share them with you because I can bet you have the same questions I did!)
- Once you purchase the tax software, you can download it to your desktop computer. Then, you fill in the basic information and the software inputs the necessary tax forms at the same time. No more paper mess on your desk!
- The software offers a series of prompts. With most prompts there is a “Learn More” button you can click that further explains the questions and walks you through the choices.
- In the upper-right corner of the dashboard, the amount you owe is displayed. This amount changes as you work on the tax forms. This gave me peace of mind because instead of waiting for a big reveal, you can see how it’s going all through the process.
- At the bottom of the screen, you will find an option to open the tax form you are working on and look to see where your information is input.
- You always have the option to go back, and it saves the info you already input.
- Suggestions were offered along the way, like: “While the IRS doesn’t require written proof, it’s good to have it in your files.” It was so helpful.
- You also file state taxes at the same time.
There is no need to be nervous about doing your own taxes, because the H&R Block tax software has an accuracy check that follows you all the way to the finish line! It lets you review all items to double check when needed. And if you need help, you can use the free chat option to ask a tax professional questions. At the end of the process, it even reviews your work and lets you know if there is a high risk of being audited, and if that does happen, they will provide help.
Because I’m self-employed, I always owe taxes, and the Premium + Business Software offers options to set up quarterly estimated payments to the IRS. You can pay immediately or print out a form to mail a check. The software even provides vouchers for estimated tax payments for this year.
Be sure to clear at least a couple hours so you can take your time to go through all the prompts within the tax software. Some people might take less time to go through it all, but I really liked being able to go in and read all the details that went with each page. All of those tips will come in handy year-round!
I was really happy with the ease of using this software. If you are a small business owner, there is no reason to dread tax season anymore! You got this! Keep your paperwork organized all year, start early, and don’t overthink it. Use what you learn from doing your taxes to help grow your business for this year and years to come!