Tax Tips

tax extension needed

Missed The Tax Deadline? Here’s How to File A Tax Extension

April 15, 2017 : Mike Slack - The Tax Institute

It’s April 15 – the most famous day on the American financial calendar. In fact, federal taxes have been due on this date since 1955.

However, April 15 isn’t the tax deadline this year. It’s April 18, 2017. That’s three extra days to file – but if what if that’s still not enough time to file? You can always file a tax extension.

A tax extension is a promise that you’ll file your complete return by mid-October. The traditional due date for extensions is October 15, but this year it falls on a Sunday,  so your extended tax deadline is Mon., Oct. 16.

How to File A Tax Extension

You can file an extension with H&R Block Online, using our Tax Software, or at any H&R Block office location. Like a normal tax return, your extension must be postmarked by April 18, or you’ll incur penalties. And, your payment is must be mailed by the tax due date, too.

That’s right – even if you file an extension, any and all tax you owe the IRS is still due on April 18. Otherwise, you may face penalties.

So, you’ve got the option of taking your time to complete your return. But when it comes to paying up? Sooner rather than later is the way to go.

Mike Slack - The Tax Institute

Mike Slack - The Tax Institute

The Tax Institute

Mike Slack, JD, EA, is a senior tax research analyst at The Tax Institute. Mike leads research teams focused on business and investment tax issues.

Copyright © 2014-2015 HRB Digital LLC. All Rights Reserved.